Thursday, January 24, 2013

Unemployment

I haven't worked since July of 2011.  About three months of that time I drew unemployment and actively looked for another job.  In November of 2011 I stopped looking for work and stopped claiming unemployment.    The job I had until July was working for friends I've known since high school.  It was what folks who work with disability call a 'sheltered workplace'.  The business closed down and my shelter was gone.  I stopped looking for work because I realized that even if I found something that I could physically and mentally handle, I'd still have all the issues I deal with going on that would make me miss work repeatedly.  No one is going to keep around someone who misses work as much as I would.
A few days ago my mental health nurse suggested I get a job again.  It turned my whole thought process upside down.  I've just come to accept the fact that I'll never work again and here comes someone telling me just the opposite.  This is the same someone who less than a year ago said I couldn't work.  I'm almost distraught over the whole situation.  I've stressed about it so much that my IBS has flared, my fibro pain has kicked up a notch and my genial personality has become snappish and irritable.
Now I'm doubting myself again.  I do not believe that a part time job with its inherent stressors would do me any good at all.  The fact that all this is coming from someone who has been sympathetic to my conditions for so long makes it more difficult to shrug off.  I'm stumped by her reasoning to begin with.  I don't think she's taken my whole health picture into account.  I hope I'm not fooling myself somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment