Friday, January 11, 2013

I have a good lawyer.

I'm not describing her legal abilities either, I mean she genuinely cares and does more than I ever expect out of her to help my appeal.  The fact that she knows the VA regulations and congressional law better than the folks at the VA Regional Office is a nice bonus.  I have gone through the claims and appeals process on my own, with a service officer and now with an actual attorney.  I've never felt as well advised or taken care of as I do now.  If you know of any veterans here in Iowa who are in the appeal process or about to begin an appeal, let me know.  I wholeheartedly endorse my attorney, Amy Kretkowski of the Hoefer Law Firm in Iowa City, Iowa.
Having said that, I've also successfully filed and won claims without representation.  I can say that it is possible to win a claim on your own.  The process is spelled out in the letters VA sends and there are lots of great resources online.  My top two recommendations online are www.hadit.com and www.gulfwarvets.com both provide top notch advice, links to claims information and the sense of military camaraderie many of us miss.  The community on Hadit seems more robust and includes veterans and claims of all eras, but I've also spent a great deal more time on the GW site as its content applies much more directly to me and my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment