Tuesday, February 12, 2013

New for me...

I did a new thing today.  I went to a VAMC for recreational therapy.  While I was there, in fact the whole reason for my visit was to enter the VA creative writing competition.  The state competition is on President's day (Feb 18th) but the final results from the national level aren't due out until June.  Whether I win anything or not is irrelevant to me.  I participated in something.  Granted the pieces I submitted were older works I wrote before I lost my muse, but they are good works and would have languished on one of my shelves otherwise.  Still, wish me luck for trying.
The visit to the hospital where I entered the competition is always tough for me.  There are always older vets in wheelchairs, scooters and on crutches that remind me of just how bad things could be for me.  Often these folks are alone and in a world of their own.  I want to help them somehow but can't seem to find anything worthwhile to offer these severely ill and wounded warriors.  They might not even want my measly help, clinging to whatever pride or stubbornness they have that keeps them going.
I know VA does some things to help these folks but with the 1000 yard stare on their faces, I just don't think there is enough to keep these folks tethered to our world for long.  I would think that it erodes the spirit to sit day after day in the fog they must endure.  Maybe some family visits once in a while; maybe no one comes to see them.  I worry that I could end up like them someday and the thought sends shivers down my spine.  I ask myself, who would come for me in that situation.  I have family and friends that see me now, but ripped from my home and surrounded by strangers, how would my fragile mind cope?  I don't have good answers.  That worries me most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment