Sunday, December 30, 2012

Who's afraid of the big bad mood?

I don't want to paint a picture that the VA is all bad.  I don't want to paint them as bad at all, but they've left me little choice over the years.  Let me give you an example.  Let's tackle a taboo subject and talk about mental health.  Not in the abstract like, VA provides mental health services, but in specific terms of how VA has tried to help my mental health.
In my experience, VA approaches mental health from two perspectives.  There is the pharmacy side and the therapy side.  I've had very consistent results with the pharmacy side and little to no consistency from the therapy side.  I've tried lots of different therapy approaches.  I've had multiple individual and group counseling sessions, meditation, non-VA neuro-feedback, and tele-medicine sessions.  I've tried about every type of outpatient VA therapy out there... most have been haphazard at best, even when I've had practitioners who meant well.  I've had interns who were scheduled to transfer in the middle of therapy sessions, and long time veteran therapists who didn't think there would be enough sessions to help me.
Therein lies another problem. VA has a cookie cutter approach to scheduling therapy, they expect to see that within ten to twelve sessions of any kind, the veteran should no longer need therapy.  That isn't because they believe the veteran will be miraculously cured, but because there aren't enough providers to continuously provide services to the veterans who need them.
The solution from VA hasn't been to get more veterans the treatment they need, but to hire more providers to rotate veterans along the existing therapy routine.  There has to be a shift in treatment modes to accept longer term treatment options.  In my example the shift would be away from a set number of sessions to a goal of fewer darkened days (like trouble getting out of bed for the day).  That won't happen without a big push from higher up in the organization than the providers or their charges.
On the pharmacy side, I've had dozens of drug combinations meant to 'energize' me or level out my mood.  None of them have worked longer than a few months.  I've been told I have 'treatment resistant' depression. Who am I to argue with experienced practitioners.  All I can say is that I don't think one part of treatment will work without the other, on an ongoing basis.
I would love to hear from other veterans with similar or different experiences...

No comments:

Post a Comment